Sunday, July 15, 2018

Lawrence Fiorillo

Lawrence Fiorillo



Lawrence Fiorillo is another dedicated and talented artist who may not be well know yet, but watch out, all you bagmakers...he is going to give you a run for your money.  He will be display one of his bags at the 2018 CLA show, at the New & Aspiring Artist table.

Lawrence's Bio:


My name is Larry Fiorillo and I’m from Orange county New York.  I’ve been involved with living history for about 22 years.  I began making hunting pouches about three years ago after reading TC Albert’s “Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch.” Since then I’ve gone on to make some 50-55 pouches among various other leather goods such as straps, slings, sheaths, shot pouches and the like.  I like to work mainly with vegetable tanned cowhide and bark tanned deerskins.  As for fabrics, when I do use them I tend to keep it simple, hemp and linen or whatever period correct material I may have on hand.  Plain linen and hemp thread are all I use to construct my pouches. 

 I enjoy crafting pouches of all styles from the crude homemade backwoods bag to one fresh from the harness maker’s shop.  I’ve made numerous pouches for re-enactors as well as for the more casual black powder shooters.  Generally I stick to the known basic shapes, patterns and methods of construction consistent with the late 18th and early 19th century examples.  Every now and then a bit of small artistic flair may be added when the whim takes me, but usually it is simple in nature.  I enjoy taking custom orders and discussing the construction of the pouch with my client, showing photos of my work as the project progresses.


I feel I owe a debt of gratitude to those well known bag makers who have come before me and have greatly influenced my work.  I’ll not name anyone here for fear of forgetting someone, for there are many.  I look forward to thanking a few in person at the (2018 CLA) show.  I’m truly honored to be here and I thank you all for taking an interest in my work.  

Here are 3 photos of the bag he will  be displaying at the CLA Show in August in Lexington.









You can contact Lawrence at:  blackpowderpouches@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment